Every time I think of the word fashion I almost instantly starting playing The Devil Wears Prada in my mind. Specifically, the scene where Miranda explains how cerulean blue trickled down from the runway and onto Andy’s sweater. So why this monologue? Well for me this monologue showcases a lot about understanding and learning all in one quick scene. Understanding and learning are exactly what I had set out to do when attending my first fashion show this year.
Fashion, whether we like it or not, really is all around us. It’s something that is both an independent choice and a community effort that can help make you feel on top of the world. The independent choice might be the clearest to explain. You get to pick what you want to wear and choose the look that makes you feel… anything. Bold, comfortable, unique, hidden, etc.
Now the community effort is what I learned to appreciate last weekend. Just by watching the runway show you can see that there already is a huge group of people dedicated to putting forward an amazing show, which they conquered. But taking a look just beyond the runway you can see just how many people are influenced by this world. Row after row of people watching, whispering, and taking pictures of what inspires them.
Here are some tips for attending a fashion show:
- Plan ahead.
- Make sure you have your outfit prepared and map out how long it might take you to arrive.
- Be early.
- You don’t want to accidentally miss your first show because of unforeseen circumstances. So give yourself some time. If you arrive early then you can double check your makeup and outfit.
- In general be nice to everyone!
- You might not know the kind of day someone has had or who they might be. So always be courteous to everyone, including the staff!
- Have fun!
- Don’t be afraid to laugh and have fun. Enjoy the event and don’t worry about what anyone else is thinking.
Seeing all the 80’s inspired outfits made me a little excited about starting wearing power pants even more! Whether it’s a handbag or an entire outfit that speaks to you, don’t be afraid to be bold dare to add something new to your wardrobe. Or even wear something in a different way. Hope to hear what you’re inspired to try next!